Thursday 29 May 2008

The Sunbathing and Johny Cash

Ok. On Wednesday I experienced many things. I was teaching a bit. I was applying for a job and I got it. So it means my working future will be getting brighter and cloudless from September as I am going to teach at language school and at primary school, half and half. And I am really looking forward to it. A lot.
And I sunbathed. I sunbathed because I am snow-white and I get sunburn very easily. So I wanted sunbathe gradually and become wonderfully tan after some time. Well, I did want that. On Wednesday I got sunburn just a very little bit and I was really proud of myself that I brought if off.
But On Thursday we had an Olympic Day at work. We spent the whole day at the stadium and were looking after students. There were disciplines like the jumping in bags, the cricetball throwing, the long distance running, and many more. The weather was wonderful, sunny and a bit windy and we really enjoyed the whole day a lot. And when I got home I realized that I got sunburn on the places I hate to be sunburn the most. So everybody is able to notice what kind of clothes I was wearing on Thursday as I have a red V-neck and arms just to the places I had sleeves. Gosh...
---
I like these songs a lot. It is something like a tribute to Johny Cash today:-)
The first one is called God´s Gonna Cut You Down and it is a traditional folk song which has been recorded by numerous artists representing a variety of genres. The lyrics are a warning to sinners that no matter how hard they try, they will not avoid God's judgement.
The video won the 2008 Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video.
-
The second one is called Hurt. It was written by Trent Reznor and first released on Nine Inch Nails´s 1994 album The Downward Spiral. Johny Cash covered the song in 2002. Its accompanying video (made in Cash´s house), featuring images from Cash's life and was named the best video of the year by the Grammy Awards and Country Music Awards.
I like the version by Johny Cash more than by Nine Inch Nails. It is more powerful and forceful in accordance with Johny´s life.
The author, Trent Reznor, said in Alternative Press:
"... pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure."

No comments: